Hi The-Original-Magic founders/staff!
Sorry to bother you all for your time, but I was wondering if you could help me with some academic research! I'm a current undergraduate media student and taking a class on new media and its uses. I'm conducting research on the way traditional art adapts to a digital platform, focusing on DeviantArt as that platform. I'd love to get your perspective and the input of the members in your group, if you don't mind helping me spread the word! I'd really appreciate it if you could include the following interview in a group journal post, or maybe just include a link within a larger post to the interview in my own journal at [link] Or, if you have other suggestions for ways for me to reach the group at large, please let me know.
Responses will be kept entirely anonymous in my findings and will only be used for academic purposes. Answers can be submitted as a comment, sent in a note to me directly (DA user Omonomopoeia), or to my email at firstname.lastname@example.org! And also please let me know if you have questions or comments.
1. How long have you been a DeviantArtist?
2. What are your reasons for using DA?
3. Which groups are you a part of?/Which groups do you interact with most often?
4. Do you have a premium account? Why/why not?
5. Do you have a personal website/other online portfolio? Does your DA link to it, or does the other site link to DA?
6. Do you use any social media sites in conjunction with your DA to share your art? Why/why not? In what ways do you integrate these sites?
7. Do you sell your work online? What site do you use for selling? Do you use your DA to advertise your work?
8. Do you interact regularly with other DA members? Do you have any friends exclusively on DA (that you have not met in person)?
9. Do you admin any DA groups? If yes: what groups do you admin, why did you become an admin, what role do you play as an admin?
10. Do you sell your art in physical stores/shows/conventions/galleries/etc? How does selling online compare to selling physically?
11. How do you feel about converting traditional art into a digital medium? Do you feel it changes the art? Does it change you as an artist? Please explain.
12. Do you feel you have a distinct DA identity, either as an artist or as a person? Please explain.
13. Is being a DeviantArtist different from being an artist in real life? How so? What are the benefits or disadvantages of either? Please draw upon personal experience.
14. Feel free to give me any other thoughts or insights on the interaction between traditional art and the internet, in your experience.
Thanks so much for your time! Please let me know whether or not this is something you can help me with
Please post your responses to a comment below or message me a note so that I may give this awesome lady some answers!
(Open to only Original-Magic Staff)